Monday, June 21, 2010

A little ball unites people

Go South Africa! from Sir Moving Images on Vimeo.

"When the world comes together at an event like the FIFA World Cup 2010, there’s typically more than just a trophy at stake. In South Africa, the country hosting this year’s tournament, race relations surely stand out as one of the more complex issues. In this stop-motion short, titled Go South Africa!, the topic is examined in a morality tale involving soccer balls. The short was directed by Robbert-Jan Vos, and art directed and animated by Renske Mijnheer."

(lineboil.com)

script: Robbert-Jan Vos & Robin Stam
art direction & animation: Renske Mijnheer - sirmovingimages.com
director: Robbert-Jan Vos - dwarv.com
score: Bastiaan Egberts - gentlenarcotic.net
sound design: Jaap Wajer - jaap.wajer.org
grading: Barry Clarke - condor.tv
voice-over: Kevin Walton

copyright 2010 dwarv.com & sirmovingimages.com


Soccer fever hits town. World cup has started and everyone's taking sides.
Now, before I go on, I must let you know that my knowledge on world cup is rather limited and I jump on the bandwagon shamelessly.
If Brazil wins, I will tell you that I'd known it from the start. Soccer blood runs in them brazil people.
But if Brazi loses, I'll say very gravely that yeah, I'd kinda known from the start that they wouldn't win. Female intuition and all that, y'know?
So don't raise your eyebrows at me if you ask me which team I support and I give you a different answer after each match.
I do have a dream, though, to watch soccer on a wide-screen and eat caramel-flavoured popcorn with ice-cold coke wearing a loose jersey tee and then lifting up my hands to yell 'GOAALLL' for any goal scored in the game. Then be real patrotic and sing 'OLE OLE OLE OLEEE' with the winning team. And discuss how 12 hot grown men can make so much effort over a little ball that doesn't know how to appreciate them.

No comments: