Sunday, December 4, 2011

The pursuit of beauty


What is beauty? Or rather, what can be called beautiful these days?
Just how much better must we look before we can appreciate ourselves and accept the fact that some of us will never be like those tall leggy gorgeous blond models?



It's a never-ending chase for beauty, for there will always be someone who will look better than the other.
Then what?




I was caught in this vicious cycle before- for a very long time and still struggle with it occasionally.
For the longest time, I was never able to look at a mirror or reflection without flinching at myself. 
Looking at myself shows all the things I dread to see: eye bags, blemishes, weird red blotches on face, dead flat hair, one eye bigger than the other. 
This affected me so much that sometimes it would take me a while before I can finally look at someone 
in the eye. 

I was the most un-confident little earthling around. 

And I was cynical.
If I thought of myself as dreadfully horrid to look at,
then won't others think so too?



But let me share with you the most cliché thing I've ever learnt in my 20 years of life:
Before anyone can love you, YOU've got to love you.

I could struggle everyday with a complex on how I look, and never enjoy meeting people.

Or, I can accept myself in all my unique ways and just smile at the world with my lopsided grin and crooked teeth. Because strangely when you smile, the world smiles back at you.
And I've never felt happier and more confident.




Thank God I've met friends who accept and love me for my weird face expressions and unsightly spots at times, but the fact that they can laugh over it with me lets me know that they are not superficial and won't leave me just because I look like death.
Friendship and love runs so much deeper than how your face or hair looks.

Most importantly, Someone has never failed to remind me that I'm His precious work of art. He loves me no matter how I look or what I've done- and that is more than enough.

Stand proud of yourself, my dear.
'For we are God’s masterpiece.' Eph 2:10



& I think that you, with your kooky eyes/ round nose/ chin/ teeth/ long ears/ cute cheeks/ croc shoes, yes you..

You
are
 beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahaha


croc shoes. yes i never liked croc shores.

but i liek my friends the way thay are. and i'm sure you too right, felicia?

*even for friends who are known for the typos ;)*

i;ve learnt not to fetl too bad bout them because i know thats what makes me identifiable for who i am. [--,]

Felicia said...

Yes HANNAH, I'll love you no matter how many typos you make ;) miss you so much omg *e-hug*