Monday, October 1, 2012

Travelogue: London 2012




Weather: We were lucky to have sun for the first few days but the locals were telling us it was one of the rainiest years in London ever. 
Temperature varied from about 12 degrees (morning) to 16 degrees (day) to 12 degrees (night) again. 
When we first arrived, we couldn't adjust to the cold wind! 
Everyone layered and layered all that we had! Haha okay maybe I exaggerate. Just like 3-4 layers?
But after a day or two, I started to appreciate the cooling weather and cut down on wearing my coat around. Because even though its real cold there, you still move around a lot and you perspire without realizing it (esp if you pile on the clothes layers). 
  Definitely much much dryer here in UK. So bring as much moisturizers as you can! 
My skin started flaking the next day and so I had to buy an extra moisturizer for my face- which gave me more spots :(
 Kensington Garden (just behind the famous Hyde Park) one sunny morning.


So inspired by all the artists' work while following the London Design Fest 2012.
Such a bustling art scene in this city, you wouldn't believe!
We also got to talk to some of the designers themselves.. And it was a great motivational time to see their passion and let it spread on to you too.
Really glad we made time to attend this festival!

Architecture: When we arrived, EVERYTHING looked like a photo spot. I mean, we hardly see such brick shophouses in Singapore! I kept taking my camera out to take all the buildings and its wonderful colonial style. 
But as the days passed, you kinda keep taking the same picture over and over? Because as my classmate said: 'It's just another same old building.'  
The novelty wore off and I got used to the idea that they rarely have high-rise buildings- just really lovely and quaint buildings & palaces & temples.


 Hello St. Paul's Cathedral. So majestic!
Oh yes, loads of awesome buskers around the tourist spots as well. 
Their bags/cases are always full of coins.. What a supportive town. :') 

Mandatory Tourist shot #1: Outside their famous park

 Royal Albert Hall



Jasper Morrison's shop. 
For those of you who don't know who he is, he is the designer who came up with this term called 'SuperNormal'. 
It means minimalism at its very best. An object that is so normal- it is taken for granted- but yet, we can not survive not using it.
For eg, the design of a scissors. Such a common and normal object & design but it still becomes a part of your life until you will be in quite an inconvenience when you lose it.
I don't explain his theory well enough.. Do google to check him out!
Fascinating stuff.


Food: OMG. My tastebuds died over here. I grew up eating oily and spicy goodness so imagine my culture shock when I stay in a country that does not serve chili on its menu. AT ALL. 
Plus its mostly sandwiches/salads/fish & chips/English breakfast/kebabs here.
Missed my noodles and rice and meat. Staying in UK has made me a healthier person lol.
So you can imagine our joy when we went to an asian restaurant called Wagamama (God-sent).
And of course I had the spicy chicken rice!!! 
---
Then it was back to my diet of bread/potatoes/baked beans and ham. Hahaha 
P.S. Portions here are huuuge. We could share and save the money (Because a meal costs about 6 pounds in London which is 12 dollars? Pretty steep pricings. I spent the most on food here). 

Mandatory Tourist Shot #2: Buckingham Palace!

Portobello Market: Vintage & artsy flea market!

Obviously there are way more pictures and stories to share with you.. But I'm getting sleepy and we have our first lesson tmrw! Sch is finally starting.
Oh gosh. It's like first-day-in-sch butterflies all over again.
A second part of my London trip will be posted when I have time (and not busy reading up in LU's massive library/ traveling around town to shop for groceries). Haha.

Tata and so long! :*

No comments: